For centuries, this farmhouse served as the hub for a lifestyle once common on Cape Cod that no longer exists. This is the only remaining public site having an unbroken link to the 1639 settlement of Yarmouth.
The restored farmhouse has been opened to the public thanks to a lot of hard work from volunteers and wonderful donations from the community. The house, once condemned, is now a wonderful example of an 1800's half cape farmhouse. It is truly one of Yarmouth's treasures.
The house is furnished with period furniture. The Keeping Room/Kitchen is complete with a working fireplace with bee hive oven and iron cooking ware. The fireplace in the summer kitchen is also a fully functional. Both the Parlor and Summer Kitchen have spinning wheels, one which is Walking Wheel used for spinning wool. Some of the old original floors have been saved in the bedrooms. The beds are rope beds.
This house was built by Samuel Taylor some time after he returned from service during the Revolutionary War. He later turned to a life at sea becoming master of the Brig Attalant. A copy of a painting of the Attalant Leaving Naples is on display.
Newly constructed portions of the house will be used for exhibits, demonstrations and presentations. We will soon be developing programming that highlight this important piece of Yarmouth history. Watch the website calendar for these events.
Recently, there was a demonstration of cooking as it was done in the 18th or early 19th century.
With the farmhouse recently rehabilitated, the Town of Yarmouth and the Taylor-Bray Farm Preservation Association (TBFPA) are working together to preserve and maintain this historic structure. We thank you for helping us open and furnish the Farmhouse for the pleasure of all!